A Spirit of Serving Society was born in Yokohama and still lives on after 131 years.
A university with history and tradition originating from the Yokohama Baptist Theological Seminary which was established in Yamate, Yokohama in 1884.
The History of Kanto Gakuin University
Yokohama Baptist Theological Seminary in 1884
Main building of Kanto Gakuin Junior High School in 1929 designed by J. H. Morgan.
Kanazawa Hakkei Campus, Kanto Gakuin University in 1979
|1884||Yokohama Baptist Theological Seminary was established by the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society in Yamate, Yokohama. (Later becoming The Graduate (Theological) School of Tokyo Baptist Academy.)|
|1895||The Middle School Department of Duncan Academy was established in Tsukiji which was later relocated to Ushigome where Tokyo Baptist Academy was later established.|
|1919||Kanto Gakuin Junior High School was established in Miharudai, Minami-ku in Yokohama (and The Middle School Department of Duncan Academy was discontinued). Tasuku Sakata, the first principal of Kanto Gakuin Junior High School, proclaimed “Be a man and serve the world” as the school motto.|
|1927||Kanto Gakuin became an incorporated organization and its Junior High School merged with The Graduate (Theological) School of Tokyo Baptist Academy and High School (The Graduate (Theological) School later merged with Aoyama Gakuin and the High School was restructured into a technical college of the old education system).|
|1946||The Mutsuura school grounds (Yokohama Kanazawa-Hakkei Campus) relocated to the old technical college.
Junior High School was also temporarily relocated.
|1947||Kanto Gakuin Junior High School was established during the educational reforms.|
|1948||Kanto Gakuin Church Kindergarten (later becoming Kanto Gakuin Mutsuura Kindergarten) was established.|
|1949||Kanto Gakuin University was established as the parent of the old technical college during the educational reforms.
Kanto Gakuin Primary School was established.
The Junior High School/Senior High School returned to Miharudai while Mutsuura classrooms remained (later becoming Mutsuura Junior High School/Senior High School).
|1950||Junior College was established at the university (later becoming the Women’s Junior College).|
|1953||Kanto Gakuin Junior High School/Senior High School was established.
Kanto Gakuin Primaru School changed its name to Mutsuura Primary School and Kanto Gakuin Primary School was established in Miharudai
|1959||The College of Theology was established. (The Graduate School of Theology was also established thereafter, however it was discontinued in 1973.)|
|1966||The Graduate School of Economics and the Graduate School of Engineering were established. (The Graduate School of Humanities and the Graduate School of Law were also established thereafter.)|
|1968||The College of Humanities was established.|
|1976||Kanto Gakuin Noba Kindergarten (Nobi-Nobi Noba Kindergarten) was established.|
|1984||The ceremony for Kanto Gakuin’s 100th anniversary was held.|
|1986||The Yokohama Kanazawa Bunko campus was established. (The College of Humanities was relocated there thereafter.)|
|1991||The College of Law at the Shounan Odawara campus was established.|
|2002||The Women’s Junior College was restructured and the College of Human and Environmental Studies was established.|
|2004||The Graduate School of Law was established.|
|2009||The ceremony for Kanto Gakuin’s 125th anniversary was held.|
|2012||Kanto Gakuin Nobi-Nobi Noba Nursery School was established.
Kanto Gakuin Preschool Nobi-Nobi Nobaen (Kindergarten and Nursery school) was opened.
|2013||The College of Engineering was restructured, and the College of Science and Engineering and the College of Architecture and Environmental Design were established.
The College of Nursing at the Yokohama Kanazawa Hakkei campus was established.
Kanto Gakuin Mutsuura Nursery school was established.
Kanto Gakuin Preschool Mutsuura Kodomoen (Kindergarten and Nursery school) was opened.
|2015||The College of Humanities was restructured, and the College of Sociology and the College of Intercultural Studies were established.
The College of Human and Environmental Studies was restructured, and the College of Education and the College of Nutrition were established.